The recent addition of 3 reserved seats for ladies in BEST hasn't gone down well with the male populace in these buses. Technically, now, a healthy male below 60 years of age (more than 80% of BEST travellers) cannot sit in the front half of the bus. Most times, you can see empty reserved seats and 5 or 6 standing disgruntled males. To make matters worse, you'll often find women sitting on general unreserved seats, to simmer the hot n' sour soup I guess. All this adds up to bigtime hostility and eventually leads to tiffs, arguments, and even the occasional skirmish which most definitely involves the conductor and a heated exchange in high-pitched Marathi.
I don't even need to bother withe hostility on the local trains - its been done to death. Just visualize a minor bump while boarding a Panvel-bound train at Kurla at 6 in the evening.
These monsoons, like snails and baby frogs, potholes suddenly begin to show up. Its as if they survive beneath the road's crust and show up when the rains arrive. Potholes by themselves are harmless, but when compounded with water and tyres, then you have a party. The latest fad is potholes on footpaths and how pedestrians prefer to walk on the roads and bikers prefer riding on footpaths. Insanity is rampant!
People distributing flyers outside college gates must be locked in a cage and dipped into the ocean with 2 minute intervals. Its bad enough that they don't have lives, but to waste other's time as well as aid and abet the monumental waste of paper that will only be crumpled and tossed away? These are the real criminals.
And yes, hostility at its best can be seen in the vicinity of almost any vacant auto or taxi. The newfound attitude of the drivers of the same is undesirable to say the least. Its as if the drivers usurped control of their vehicles from their owners and now decide to ply only whoever they wish to wherever they wish.
Today morning, I saw this poor drenched crow sitting n shivering on my window grille, who had lost his 'caww' (thankfully) and was sporting a spiked hairdo. That's how I feel when witnessing such hostility in the monsoons - voiceless and pitiful
Nice pic. and I never really saw the point of those reserved seats anyway, unless it was for the aged or for pregnant women.
ReplyDeleteThe rest of us can manage to stand, I am sure.
As for trains, seasoned travellers treat train fights as entertainment (so do I). I think people lose their sense of humour some way between waking up and getting to work. Don't you?
i've been thinking about the same thing since a while now. i blame it on the infrastructure. thats where it all stems from. the roads are bad, drivers are pissed. pissed drivers drop millions on to station, trains are crowded. u climb on to a bus and u dont have seats. the bus goes over a pothole. it goes on and on and on.
ReplyDelete