The slow descent that we perceived the journey to adulthood to be as kids ironically speeds up when we're headed there, when we're aware. Maybe something about paying attention contributes. Kinda like relativity.
As kids, we're carefree, we don't have qualms, worries, issues to deal with; only those that pertain to kid-stuff; like "i wonder when I can reach that jar of cookies atop the shelf near the exhaust fan" or "i wonder when I can open the freezer myself." These were the head-scratchers we had then. I guess we, as kids, considered adult issues trivial, and as adults, consider today's kids' issues trivial. There was never any in-between, no transition or graduation from one problem set to another. As kids, we just knew somehow that adulthood was far far away.
Its like one night when we went to sleep, we were troubled kids wondering why the jam on the bread during breakfast tasted weird with butter, and then when you wake the next day, you have acne issues. You're in kidulthood, you're in limbo, the most worrisome of stages to be in. And the funny thing is, even though the duration of us being kids (12-13 years) and the duration of us being adults (70+ years) IS way longer than the duration that we stay adolescents (anywhere between 5 to 8 years), the adolescent stage definitely seems to last the longest.
Issues become magnified, feelings of isolation, no-one paying heed to symptoms, no one to 'understand' you. Relativity, simply put.
Kids should have a play-by-play recap of themselves during adolescence and during adulthood. Its the only way to remind adults to live their lives and not merely exist.
I super like the title. :) :)
ReplyDeletewhat is this adulthood you speak of? I want to ride my bicycle, and hey hey who stole the cookie from the cookie jar?
ReplyDelete